• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Pain in the stomach

Clean_Cut

Bluelighter
SO yesterday I didnt feel that great. I felt a little light headed and pretty thirsty. I put it down to just not eating enough and still recovering from a big weekend. I didnt get time to eat a big dinner and by the time I was going to bed I still felt light headed and had some wierd pains in my stomach..almost like indigestion but a bit different. I woke up this morning and the pains are a little worse...its like near the top of my stomach and is like a dull stabbing sort of pain.

I have eaten properly today but still the pains persist (light headedness etc is gone). I did eat yesterday, just not a whole lot so I dont think its just from that.

I did take a pretty strong milk thistle capsule (equiv to 35g extract)..so maybe ive had a reaction to that? although I have taken it once before with only a slightly upset stomach...nothing like this.

any ideas appreciated!

I thought it was subsiding, but after I ate dinner just now it has come roaring back. So food definetly antogonises it. I feel like im burping often and each time I do the pain gets alot worse.

Could be something as bad as an ulcer if you've been partying pretty hard and not taking care of your immune system, or it could just be indigestion. Both are helped by natural yogurt! I'm not kidding, eat some yugurt with active cultures, see if it helps to get the flora and fauna in your gut back to normal. Vitamin-C containing foods are also good if the yogurt doesn't help

Sounds like esophagitis. You're going to want to eat a very bland, low-acid diet for the next couple weeks. Don't take pain medicine of any kind, if you can help it. If it's the same or worse in 2 weeks, especially if it's kept you from eating, see a doctor and get your throat scoped.

You're definitely going to have to quit drugs, alcohol, and cigarettes for some time, if you want this to clear up.

Dont smoke cigarettes so thats done! was already planning to not drink for a month at least so thats done. Only smoke mj occassionaly so thats easy too.

I guess I just drank too much straight vodka on the weekend. Wierd how it took 2 days to manifest itself as a problem tho!

By low acid, what should I avoid? Oranges/OJ etc?

^ Definitely no orange, tomato, or pineapple products. Fruit juice in general isn't your friend right now. Don't eat a lot of greasy food, especially fat that congeals into a solid if it sits around (e.g. bacon). Milk, bananas, and plain bread or pasta is a good idea. Try googling 'esophagitis diet'.

^ would a esomeprazole (nexium) script be helpful; do you think?

Ok thanks heaps. Ive figured out what foods/drinks to avoid for a week or two.
I drank alot of straight vodka on saturday so Im assuming its jsut from that rather than some sort of infection so I think going and getting a script could be a waste of money.

Im just sticking to whey protein shakes instead of meat for a while, pasta, and then certain veggies and salad along with water, green tea, yoghurt and milk.

Yes, esomeprazole might help, but if you can reduce the symptoms without it, do so. Proton pump inhibitors are habit forming and hard to get off, even though they work.